Friday, December 28, 2007

Preity Zinta off to Thailand for New Year


Preity Zinta is taking a well-earned vacation.

After shooting as the derelict NRI wife in Deepa Mehta's Heaven On Earth, Preity is off to Phuket, Thailand with her friends to bring in the New Year.

Last year at this time Preity had injured herself during a vacation.

"The year has been a tough one for me," groaned Preity. "Not only did I suffer a serious injury, it has also been a year of tough challenges for me as an actor."

"In 2007, I went into another kind of cinema altogether. From doing Yash Raj Films to playing a woman who finds herself at the receiving end of life in Heaven On Earth has been quite a creative and cultural shock for me," Preity said.

The actress is, however, quick to point out the film isn't only about a battered wife.

"It's about all the people who leave India and hope to find paradise abroad, only to be stuck on wretched 16-hour jobs with no happiness or sunshine. I never knew how such marginalized women existed until I played one," she said.

"Deepa Mehta's Heaven On Earth was tough on me emotionally. In the month that I was in Toronto, I went out just twice and that too to maintain my sanity. I really need a break now," added the actress who had only one commercial release this year, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom.

Preity will return from her vacation in the second week of January with a clear date diary.

"I haven't said yes to any of the scripts I've heard. I'll take a call when I return from my holiday. But yes, 2007 has been my year of unconventional films. So 2008 will probably be a year of hardcore masala movies."

No comments: