Monday, May 14, 2007

Vidya Balan speaks about Laaga Chunari Mein Daag

/photo.cms?msid=2042211
Vidya Balan laughs off allegations that she opted out of Pradeep Sarkar's Laaga Chunari Mein Daag because she didn't want to play second lead in a Rani Mukerji starrer.

"I actually can't believe I'm not doing Sarkar's film. There's no way I could've let this happen. But dada (Sarkar) wanted to complete the film within a certain period and those dates were committed to Sajid Khan's Hey Baby a year back," Vidya explains. In Hey Baby, she had to coordinate her dates with co-stars Akshay Kumar, Fardeen Khan and Kunal Kapoor.

"In dada's film my dates had to be coordinated with Jayaji (Bachchan), Rani, Abhishek Bachchan and Kunal. Both projects needed chunk dates. Not doing dada's film wasn't an easy call to take. When people say it's shocking to hear that I'm not in dada's film, do they realise how shocking it is for me? You can't believe how awful I felt to not be in it. Inshallah, I'll be in his next. They tell me they miss me there. To even talk about it makes me emotional."

As for rumours about why she didn't do the project, Vidya has only one thing to say, "As long as dada and I know the truth it doesn't matter. Gossip is a full-time vocation."

After Lage Raho Munna Bhai, Vidya has almost completed another socially relevant film. She's excited about Raj Kumar Santoshi's Halla Bol. "Santoshi's films have always had a very high level of social relevance. I'm so happy to be working with him. I was fully aware that it's the story of the male protagonist's journey from real to reel hero. It's Ajay Devgan's film. I'm the wife but my character is integral to the film.

"Like I always say, the true barometer of a role is not its length but how much of a difference it makes to the plot. And if you take away my role from Halla Bol, it makes a difference. I don't mind doing one scene as long as that scene makes an impact."

No comments: