Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Akshay Kumar on kicking butt, reuniting with Saif and new challenges


Akshay Kumar doesn't seem to care much about his on-screen image.

Just when critics had labelled him off as an action hero, Akshay moved on to be screen rib-tickler. And he's not apologetic about his luck, insisting he's "worked very hard" to be where he is.

With a major hit (Namastey London) in 2007, Akshay surprisingly hasn't gone into a signing mode. A few weeks before he turns 40, Akshay admits that he's smartening up to do the right thing.

"It's important to do the right films which determine how you would like to see your career moving ahead and doing quality work. It's not like I would be doing one film a year. If the script interests me and I can offer something new to viewers then I am open to doing that film."

In fact, 2007 will have a couple of Akshay starrers hitting the marquee - Heyy Babyy, Bhool Bhulaiya (both outright comedies).

"Heyy Babyy is a film which I've done for my son. Sure, it's a fun film, the guys in the film ( Ritiesh Deshmukh and Fardeen Khan) were cool. Priyan's Bhool Bhulaiya has been a challenging experience. But, it's always good to push yourself. Working with newer actors like Vidya Balan and Deepika Padukone has been a learning experience for me."

A decade ago Saif Ali Khan and Akshay's screen chemistry created ripples. The two reunite in Yash Chopra's Tashan. Akshay admits, "It's always been a pleasure to work with Saif. He can make you crack up with his one-liners."

Given that Tai Chi, kickboxing and karate were his leisure activities, Akshay 's decision to stop stunts on screen has been the fodder of mags for years. Akshay seems to have made up for it by indulging in doing stunts for his endorsements instead!

"I make up for the lack of on-screen action by indulging it in real life during ads or promotions of brands. It's a short film after all and I have to give it my best shot. Ad film-makers expect that from me and I enjoy the action bit. But, I'm getting back to action in films also," he says.

In Nikhil Advani's Mera Naam Chin Chin Choo, Akshay is readying for some more death-defying stunts we hear.

His sheepish answer is, "It's been worth it. Mera Naam...is an entertaining film. I am raring to get back to doing some stunts again. I am balancing the film with light-hearted films like Singh is King and Made in China."

No comments: