Sunday, September 9, 2007

John breaks his silence


He is rumoured to have a soured relationship with co-star Arshad Warsi and split from girlfriend Bipasha Basu, but John Abraham is unfazed by the grapevine buzz.

Here's the latest interview he gave to Times Of India:

You seem to have been out of circulation for so long...

That was by choice. I would rather be seen than heard. I've always believed in working quietly and not making tall claims. I've always maintained that roles abroad would happen when they happen. At the end of the day Bollywood is my home. I'm damn lucky to be getting all these opportunities. The film industry has been very kind to me. I love the movies!

In Deepa Mehta's Luna, you're cast in a mainstream Hollywood film as one of the main actors.

You think so? A lot of people were taken by surprise. At Cannes, Ronnie Screwvala (UTV) was next to me when the announcement was made on stage. He was as surprised as anyone else. Deepa has shown a lot of faith in me. Talks were on for Luna.

But everything fell into place only at Cannes. I'm very delighted my co-star is Rachel Weisz. What a performance she gave in The Constant Gardener! Mine is a beautifully etched role in Luna. I play an activist. The heartening thing is that my nationality isn't even mentioned. And, my character's name isn't Indian.

I met Julia Hill on whose life Luna is based. She was amazing. We think of activists as mature and boring. Julia is a fun 27-year-old, funky yet passionate about her work.

Julia Hill thinks you resemble Antonio Banderas.

I come from a completely different cultural space. But, you do feel flattered when you're compared with a good-looking Hollywood icon like Banderas. I'm not even two per cent of what he is.

The shooting of
Dhan Dhana Dhan...Goal in London was quite eventful.

So I'm informed by the media. It was fun. We've seven-eight days of patchwork left to do, and we're complete.

What about your problems with Arshad Warsi?

It's sad when incorrect things are written about me. I want people who read this interview to know I'm not a vindictive person. I'm not going to sit here and clarify my non issues such as these. Every person in the unit would vouch for that. Neither Arshad nor I have spoken against each other. I have no clue who is spreading the rumours. I've been out of the country and pretty much disconnected with what's being said and spread.

Do you think your general inaccessibility fuels such stories?

It's true that I'm inaccessible to the media when I'm shooting abroad. So, I'm sure the stories come from those who are accessible to them abroad. You know what I mean? When I'm consumed by work, I don't like to focus on other things.

Even Bipasha Basu was dragged into your supposed fight with Arshad.

Bipasha is a woman of substance. Everything is black or white for her. We are straight, honest and clean. That's all I want to say about this.

Earlier, you were supposed to have problems with Salman Khan?

I personally have no problems with anybody. I don't speak against anyone. One reason why I'm surviving in the industry is because I feel no sense of insecurity. I enjoy my space. I enjoy what I'm doing. I want my films to be inspirational. I want people to go back from my movies - No Smoking, Aashayein and Dhan Dhana Dhan..Goal - entertained and enlightened.

No comments: