Sunday, May 13, 2007

Star moms - With you, for you, always!


They may love being in the limelight all the time, but then, many of our tinsel town actresses seldom venture into the sets alone - often we see their mothers tagging along with them. But there are also star-moms who've let their daughters make professional and personal decisions on their own - give them space to grow into the constant attention that they get.
http://im.rediff.com/movies/2004/sep/07dimple2.jpghttp://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2006/07/08/images/2006070800240401.jpg
"Twinkle never asked me before joining films and while she was a part of the industry, she never asked for help and I have never heard her complain about it either," says actress Dimple Kapadia about her daughter Twinkle Khanna.

But it is a rarity to find a celeb-mom who lets her star daughters handle their own professional and personal life. The Hindi film industry is full of actresses who have never been seen without their mommy darlings. Especially on the sets!

"What is wrong in that? And I only did this in the initial years of their careers because we do not come from a filmi family and did not know the ways of the industry. I wanted to make sure my daughters are safe. Now they are independent, who can take care of themselves and even me," says Sunanda Shetty, actress Shilpa and Shamita Shetty's mother. She still accompanies Shilpa to all her shoots and social dos. Shilpa, of course, stands by her mom on this issue. "We are friends. So why this fuss?" she asks.
http://images.photogallery.indiatimes.com/photo.cms?msid=984062
Another celeb-mom who keeps a tab on both her daughters is Hema Malini. When Esha just entered the film industry, Hema made sure that she was there with her - be it promotional events, premieres or shoots. But now Esha is trying to find her own ground. "I love and respect my mom and her decisions. But when it comes to the decisions of my life, shouldn't I be the one making them?" asks Esha.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040201/spectrum/sridevi.jpg
In the good old days, actresses like Sridevi, Madhuri Dixit and even Rekha had their mothers come to the sets to keep an eye on them... or rather, on the people around.

Babita also accompanied daughters Karishma and Kareena initially.
http://images.photogallery.indiatimes.com/photo.cms?msid=1364187
But then, this trend is not endemic to Bollywood alone. Rucha Gujrati, a television actress, feels that bringing along her mom to the sets is the best way of catching up on life with her. "I don't get to spend enough time with my mom at home, so it feels great to have her around on the sets." says Rucha.
The image “http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060901/images/01tv.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
So, are moms on sets generally the break-time-nannies? "With the kind of schedules that we have, we hardly get time to relax at home and have long chats with our moms. So I always ask my mom to accompany me on the sets, so that we can spend some time together. Having my mom around makes a world of difference for me as she makes sure that I have my meals on time," says TV actress Barkha Bisht. Another telly star Sayantani Ghosh, says, "In her presence no one can misbehave with me." A perfect case of Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot!

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day Image Source

No comments: